Monday, April 20, 2009

The Beginning to the Bottom of the World

South Pole Last Degree - it's almost official.

Last Friday Steve Jones (the manager at ANI) sent me an email saying that I am accepted for the program. I did not know it could be this difficult just to get into the program. It's like meeting certain standards for an admission to a university in North America or an entry exam in Asia. Whether you have money to pay for tuition or are able graduate is another story, but first you must pass the test or meet their criteria to get into the school. But I finally made it. I am now working with Melanie, a staff at ANI, to complete registration process.

It is just the beginning of a long journey to destino South Pole. Next 8 months will be time for training/preparation, or studying (in school terminology). Would I have enough time to prep for this? I don't know but I think this is quite a long preparation and hopefully it is enough.

Now the next deciding factor for this journey is $$$. I do not have the money for this yet. I need sponsors. Anyone knows who might be interested in sponsoring me (obviously I need to do my part of the sponsorship), please let me know :). I really appreciate it.

Or if I could join the Russian crew this year to the South Pole, then I don't have to raise money. I can only wish.

Eric Larsen, a world renown polar explorer also contacted me last week regarding a training in preparation for this much challenging expedition. Hopefully I have a chance to work with him. This year, he's on a quest for something that has never been done before, 3 poles in the span of 365 days: North Pole, South Pole and the Everest. The roof of the world is considered the third pole in the world of explorers. An impressive quest indeed.

No comments: