Tuesday, March 25, 2008

The Satellite Phone

I received the satellite phone yesterday. I was anxious to see how it works, especially with the satellite-phone-to-blog idea. It works like a champ. So we’re on for live blogging. The only thing I can complain about this is the connection is taking too long, like 5 mins. And I hate to type in the message using the phone keyboard. I guess I’m not a teenager anymore to be able to do speed SMS. I also will have to “invent” a lot of shortcuts to limit number of characters (the length of each message is 160 characters including email address and white spaces). And looks like I have to write the message I need to send on paper first, shrink it as short as possible then key in the phone and send. Hope the following message is clear enough:

MET NP TRIBE HU LIV@ICE DANCE 4 US, WAS AMZG :)

It reads “We met a North Pole tribe who live on the ice. They danced for us. It was amazing. :)”
(The NP tribe was a joke from my team at work)


2 comments:

Keymaster said...

back when i was working for Lockheed Martin, i sort of worked on the iridium project.

Jeffrey D said...

The Iridium satellite network is great. I've made calls in the forrests of nicaragua, on boats in the pacific, and in the mexican desert, and it's been great. I actually just wrote about Iridium and Inmarset as it pertains to blogging from the field -
http://www.jeffzilla.com/2008/04/how-to-blog-from-anywhere/

thoughts?